Racing

Racing
contact me at e.senseman@gmail.com

2/09/2012

An explanation

Why start a running blog? There are a plethora of reasons. Some use a blog to log their training, other might start a blog to promote fitness, still others write on the web as a way of promoting their sponsors or educating people about the sport. But all these reasons share one thing in common: to talk (or in this case write) about running. That is certainly the reason I decided to start a running blog. It might be asked: why do talk about running on the web? In other words, it might be thought that one can write about running in a journal, or on a word document, or some other place that is *private* and not public. I have always assumed that "bloggers" are pretentious, or self-righteous, or in need of attention, or something like this. So I have often asked a more fundamental question: why talk about *anything* in a public forum. I guess I finally recognized that (secretly) I wanted to start a blog too -- that I wanted people to read what I write -- but I was reluctant to do so in order to remain consistent. If bloggers are pretentious, and I don't want to be pretentious, then, even if I want to blog, I can't blog or else I'll be inconsistent *and* pretentious.

There are obvious reasons, I have found upon further reflection, to blog: to inform people, to get feedback from people, to assure yourself that what you're doing is not meaningless (and logging dozens and dozens of miles can indeed feel meaningless). Bloggers aren't inherently pretentious, at least no more so than non-bloggers. I'll try not to be a pretentious blogger, just as I try not to be a pretentious non-blogger. I'll use this blog, then, to write about running. I'll give my own advice on running and related issues, provide links to more informed opinions about running and related issues, and post my own training logs on a regular basis. Maybe some people will read it, but maybe not. Either way, I can assume that at least some people will read this blog and, I hope, benefit from doing so.

Lastly, what's with the title? Well, it's what I take running to be: a struggle against distance and time. I am indebted, in part, to a good friend and former college teammate for the title. It was during one of our more challenging runs that he and I referred to running as "the GREAT struggle against distance and time." I dropped the adjective and made the remainder the title of this blog. Take this blog to be a forum about struggling!

Cheers,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment