Racing

Racing
contact me at e.senseman@gmail.com

5/28/2012

05/21 - 05/27

Monday (May 21): off

Tuesday (May 22): AM 12+, altered SMR loop, 3 x 3 mile repeats @ 17:25, 17:50, 17:31. Splits were 5:52, 5:50, 5:43 -- mile off (7:20) -- 6:06, 5:54, 5:50 -- mile off (7:35) -- 5:51, 5:55, 5:45. Things went smoothly: (mostly) easy breathing, (mostly) loose legs, and quick miles. It felt good! PM 10 miles, 1hr:08, 6:51/mile, out-and-back along Monona Bay to the Arb. Some easy miles to keep the legs loose and increase mileage. The pace was brisker than expected, but unsurprisingly so, as the evening was pleasant and I was feeling good.

Wednesday (May 23): AM 10 miles, hill repeats in Olin Park and Turville Point, 1hr:15, 7:30/mile. The hill workout amounted to about 2.5 mills of hard uphill / downhill running. 10 x Olin Park sled hill (backside) and 10 x Turville Point hill. Solid workout.

Thursday (May 24): AM 10 miles, UW track, 5 x 800m @ 2:37, 2:41, 2:40, 2:40, 2:38. Rest: 200m jog after repeats 1, 2, 4; 400m jog after repeat 3. I was planning on six repeats but my legs were getting a bit tight and I don't want to be crazy sore for this weekend so I stopped after five. Lots of wind this morning, which made the effort a bit more taxing, but overall it went well.

Friday (May 25): AM 10 miles, 1hr:17, 7:45/mile, loops around the Arb. I felt a little sluggish the first few miles. I had a hard time getting into a rhythm but was feeling ok by the end of the run.  PM 10 miles, 1hr:02, 6:13/mile, out-and-back on Cap City Trail. What a run. This was very unexpected. I was planning to run around 6:35 per mile but was feeling great after the first mile (6:40) so I kept a strong pace and never tired too much. The latter miles were around 6:00/mile and I was really happy with the fact that my breathing was easy and my legs felt good.

Saturday (May 26): AM 22 miles, 2hrs:37, 7:10/mile, out-and-back from Riley on the Military Ridge Trail. Hank and I tried to run at 6am but, after seeing lightening within striking distance (literally), we called it off after a half mile. I went back out around 10am and had an excellent go. My gait felt smooth, my legs weren't terribly tired, and I clicked off the miles seemingly effortlessly on a humid morning / early afternoon. PM 4 miles, :30, 7:30/mile, out-and-back down State Street to the Lakefront Trail with Holden. Holden arrived and we jogged a few easy miles before the half marathon tomorrow.

Sunday (May 27): AM 12 miles, Madison Half-Marathon course, 2 mile warm-up, 10 miles in 67 minutes, 6:45/mile. The Madison Marathon was canceled due to heat related worries. So Holden and I decided to run the half marathon instead. After two easy miles we started the race at the capitol. It was evident after a few miles that Holden was going to have a tough day. We ran six or seven miles at around 6:30/mile pace and then slowed down for a few miles before stepping off the course around mile 9. I jogged another mile plus before grabbing a beer at the finish line. It was a fun morning!

Weekly Totals: 100 miles, ~11hrs:45. This was the best week of training that I've had this year and perhaps the best that I've ever had. I hope to have many more weeks of this kind in the next two months. Now that the heavy racing is past, I have one thing on my mind: the Voyageur 50.

No photos this week, as my phone was water damaged in a canoe turnover on Sunday...not pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment